Tuesday 8 September 2015

Does a child need to memorize multiplication table?

Talking about multiplication table, I only have a dim memory of when I started chanting those numbers. It should be in my early primary school days, I had to repeatedly chanting in Chinese language. '2 2 4', '3 3 9', '7 7 49', '8 8 64', '9 9 81'. Slightly different from my 'kebangsaan' school, this version of multiplication table chant, taught by my father, seemed a little more easier and faster.  A child should be able to memorize multiplication table in primary school. Some children, as young as six years old, could memorize it with ease.
After all, children could remember Barney songs, Frozen songs, Clash of clans strategies, even TV commercials.

In mathematics, having multiplication table on finger tips (literally in the head) is absolutely vital, especially for topics such as division, fractions, algebra, quadratic equations, and many more.

Reciting method of multiplication table is making its way back schools in the UK.
http://www.kumon.co.uk/blog/ofsted-highlights-the-importance-of-learning-times-tables/